You’re in the middle of the most frigid week of winter and you wake up shaking in a pile of blankets in bed. The first thing you think is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to end up in a situation like this where it feels like you’re predestined to suffer until morning to arrange furnace repair, but there are a handful of things you can take a look at, as well as a couple things you can do, to stay on your toes and have a plan for a predicament like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Chilly nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you avert a chilly situation.
- Gather supplies. Set aside some room in a closet, drawer or another easy to access area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you warm while your furnace isn’t running. It might seem bothersome or unnecessary now, but it will be nice when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Running:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace may have been tripped by a power surge or for another reason. If this is the case, flip the breaker back on and you might be set. If the breaker is turned off and you have switched it back on but your furnace still isn’t operating, give us a call to arrange an appointment for furnace repair.
- Layer up and get cozy. That list of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you keep your body heat so you can stay warm while waiting for your pro. Also, try to find an activity to do to keep your blood pumping, as elevated activity can help keep you warm.
- Stay safe. Utilizing something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose potential danger depending on the method you’re using. It’s important to remember to never utilize heating methods designed for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use another method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your go-tos.
No one wants to have an encounter with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has quit running, but the possibility is real if you don’t take the right steps. Give the experts at Pepper AC & Htg Inc a call at 940-202-1184 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services available or any other number of heating questions.