While winter weather seems like it’s already been around for much too long, its effect on our heating bill is just beginning. Achieving low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be challenging, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to possibly decrease those costs. That’s why we’ve come up with a few furnace tips to help stave off high heating bills.
To begin reducing your heating bills and enhancing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open over the warmest hours of the day to let sunlight in, heating your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks and crevices around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Adding a programmable thermostat so that you can more precisely control the temperature in your home, which will also increase energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every few months.
- Making sure your home’s heating vents are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if your furnace has been around for more than 15 years.
- Putting insulation in your attic to keep warm air from escaping.
- Checking your roof to confirm your shingles are intact, and that no holes or areas need sealing.
Trying to keep your energy bills down and energy efficiency up, is a year-round effort, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t take a few small steps to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions about the tips above or questions about how you can decrease your heating bills, give us a buzz at 940-202-1184. Our experts are here to help make sure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Justin weather.